Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How much tax do you pay on goods you bring to the US under F1 visa status?

I'm coming from canada, and maintaining my residency there. I understand I will pay tax on incomes to both governments(Not a big deal - canadian tax on students is effectively nothing), but when I bring goods with my(clothing, a computer, ext) how much do I need to have set aside for tax? Is there a limit below which I do not pay tax?How much tax do you pay on goods you bring to the US under F1 visa status?
You pay zero tax on personal belongings that you have owned for at least six months.How much tax do you pay on goods you bring to the US under F1 visa status?
It's hard to say. In 2004 I shipped about $2,000 worth of personal belongings from China to the US when I returned home from living overseas. I think the customs charges came to about $250. Only some items accrued customs duties. I cannot remember which. Used clothing probably won't get dutied. The computer might. Hope this info helps you come up with an estimate.