Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do I set up an extended wireless network (550ft)?

I currently have a wireless G network set up, and the built in WiFi card picks up the signal. I would like to extend the signal to a location approx. 550 ft away, but the line of sight would go right through another building. I'm looking at a Hawking 15dbi outdoor directional antenna, and wondering if there's any way the signal would be strong enough.



Also, I would like to know what kind of adapter or other hardware I would need to connect the laptop to the antenna (ethernet? usb? wireless adapter?).



Thanks,How do I set up an extended wireless network (550ft)?
With that distance and with such a large obstacle, it's going to be tough to make the connection.



Your best bet is to get a pair of outdoor wireless bridges with integrated high gain antenna. Check out EnGenius and Ubiquiti's websites for suitable products.



If at all possible, however, get the antennas up over the buildings.