Sunday, November 21, 2010

How to deal with a rude, abusive employer?

Right, I work in an store similar to John Lewis, where we sell fashion, furniture, homeware and so on.



However, my store manager seems to be an underlying problem, to both the employees and to the overall performance of the store.



The main issue is that she treats her employees like they have no other choice but to work here, therefore they can't quit, therefore she can be as harsh and as demeaning as she wishes. She prefers discipline rather than rewarding; she sets unrealistic and sometimes impossible targets onto the floor managers, causing them to stress; she doesn't actually get involved herself in the work, but merely chivvies lower employees along while sitting back and not getting involved with sales.



A perfect example of her behaviour was when my mum used to work there part time too (before she went back to university): She had a floor manager who was very kind and fair to all her employees, and generally kept the atmosphere going well. She got on with everyone and she was also a brilliant salesperson (she taught me in her last months there). However, she did not see eye to eye with my store manager, disagreeing with her work. Without a logical, unemotional basis to fire her over, my store manager instead pressed impossible targets onto her job, while harassing the employees on our floor to help push her to quit. Eventually, our old floor manager had no choice, but to quit, after working there for 30 years. She got a small sum of money, and was kicked out onto the street.



I once complained about this store manager, as she threatened to fire me if I didn't have a more positive attitude to my sales (I'm working on fashion, which is aimed at 50+ years, which I have no passion for, but, despite requests, I haven't been moved) but now she treats me with cold, indifferent body language, and I have actually heard her gossip about me behind my back.



Lots of my colleagues have subsequently quit because of her behaviour, and the atmosphere of the store is strained and tense.



I can't talk to her constructively as I believe she will use her emotional behaviour to intimidate me, as she has done to others before, and I have enough stress at work without that.



What can I do?How to deal with a rude, abusive employer?
This is a no-win situation. This person is abusive and unless someone higher up sees her behavior there really isn't anything you can do except to stay out of her line of vision and under the radar, until you can transfer to another store or find another position. I know you feel you can do something to make her change - and I ask you to consider this: imagine standing in front of a bull and trying to talk to it reasonably. That is her behavior and nothing will change her behavior.



I've been in your situation and I took it and tried to manage with it. There were two incidents in my own experience where I blew up, even going so far as to bang my fist on a counter, after being pushed too far and to be honest, the mistreatment stopped. I don't know if that is something I recommend because it could be grounds for termination. Don't quit unless you have another position lined up.



Here's the thing, you can't let her position dictate the way she treats you - you can insist on being treated fairly. And you can talk with her and find out what you can do to do a better job. It could be, and this is only a suggestion, it could be that she thinks the only way to get people to do what she wants is to mistreat them. Try going to her and telling her that you would like to improve your skills and see if she will offer suggestions on how you may improve. Engage her, draw her into your role, ask her opinion. She expects everyone to jump, well if you don't, and you come closer, that is going to throw the game she plays out of what and it may change things. I don't guarantee anything but it might be worth a try.How to deal with a rude, abusive employer?
I would raise a grievance with her manager under the stores, bullying and harassment procedure. There are far too many people like this who get away with it because everyone is scared to lose their job. No one should have to put up with it and if the company fail to deal with your grievance then take it further and if they make life difficult for you, then you have a very good case in an employment tribunal.



I hope you manage to sort this out and she gets a bit of her own treatment.



Steve Ferns

Business %26amp; Financial Adviser

www.tacticks.co.ukHow to deal with a rude, abusive employer?
You have two options: You can put up with it or you can quit. If you need the job, then you put up with it. It is obvious that this person (and their supervisors) do not care how the employees are handled. Nothing you say or do will make a difference. If you don't want to subject yourself to this type of treatment, then you do not have to work there. Find another job and then you can lay into her, telling her exactly what you think of her preferably in front of other employees (or customers) when you hand in your resignation.