Thursday, June 2, 2011

How to bake polymer clay?

is it okay to put it in a toaster oven? I have small little sculptures, each about the size of my thumb nail. I set it to the bake function at 250F, and by 10 minutes, it all burned to ashes. How do should i bake them?How to bake polymer clay?
I always use a toaster oven. You need to test the temp with a thermometer because a lot of them don't read properly. I can't imagine why it would burn your clay though, unless the temp is wildly off. I've never had anything like that happen.How to bake polymer clay?
Yes, its okay to bake them in toaster ovens. I do agree with the other answerer though, you should check the temp. If you HAVE to use the toaster oven (%26amp; not a normal oven or poly clay oven) then I'd do some test pieces, do a few about the same size you did, %26amp; set the timer %26amp; temperature lower %26amp; lower until they come out okay. Its okay if Polymer clay burns (its still paintable %26amp; durable) but it can over cook %26amp; turn to ashes or at least be damaged beyond repair. Unfortunately. I used a toaster oven for an oven bake clay once, used the proper settings %26amp; everything %26amp; within minutes I almost burned down my kitchen, there was smoke everywhere %26amp; it completely fried the piece. I never used that oven again. I'm sure its the oven, %26amp; not the clay. Sorry you lost your pieces. But don't give up trying. Just keep doing tests until you find the right setting before you move onto using the oven for your nice work. =/